Junior League of Yakima has partnered with On The Corner, Madison House, and Washington Middle School to host “Girls Circle,” a book club for middle school girls meant to promote literacy and ownership of books, cultivate a safe space for discussion, and gain exposure to historical female leaders. The group is scheduled to meet a minimum of three times per year. This program allows Junior League members to impact girls in Yakima through the use of literature and mentoring relationships.
The general membership of Junior League of Yakima has formed an internal book club to read and discuss the same titles as the girls to be informed and better able to identify cultural and ethical responses impacting girls today.
Interested in reading along? Check out our favorite titles below and consider ordering through our local sponsor, Inklings Bookshop.
2023-2024 Girls Circle Reading List:
- Roller Girl by Victoria Jamiesan
2022-2023 Girls Circle Reading List:
- The Baby-Sitters Club: Kristie’s Great Idea by Reina Telgemeier
- Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
2020-2021 Girls Circle Reading List:
- Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier
- Things Seen From Above by Shelley Pearsall
- Download the Activity Guide here!
- Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith
2019-2020 Girls Circle Reading List:
- Rules by Cynthia Lord
- Real Friends by Shannon Hale and LeUyen Pham
- Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
- The Thing About Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin
2018-2019 Girls Circle Reading List:
- Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
- Awkward by Svetlana Chmakova
- Path to the Stars by Sylvia Acevedo
2017-2018 Girls Circle Reading List:
- Smile by Raina Telgemeier
- Hidden Figures Young Readers’ Edition by Margot Lee Shetterly
- May B by Caroline Starr Rose